Home Education Special Needs Access Launches May 2nd!
AHEA celebrates the advent of a tremendously important change in the home education landscape for special needs families! Starting on Monday, all home education families will be able to access supports via the Khan Communications website Home Ed tab. These support services will be provided by speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, behavioural & mental health therapists, and psychologists. AHEA's advocacy on behalf of home educators can be supported here.
The Alberta Government is providing the access through a grant to AISCA, who has engaged Khan Communications to provide the supports. An overview of the AISCA Home Education Supports Video can be watched here. If you missed the virtual meeting with AISCA/Khan Communications on April 27, 2022, you can still catch the recording of Specialized Services for Home Education.
Now to some quick bits of reference information that you will find helpful!
What is the program designed to provide?
- Universal strategies to help parents learn more about the learning needs of their children
- Screenings and assessments to answer educational questions regarding their child's learning
- Parent coaching
- Access to workshops and resources
- Online consultations between parents and specialists
What type of information will be needed to complete the registration process?
- Parent name and location
- School jurisdiction/authority name and home education facilitator name/contact #
(If applicable - Notification Only parents are also entitled to support!)
- Some specific information on their child (including their Alberta Student #)
- Main areas of support parents are interested in
- An online consent form
- Selecting date for online consultation
By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.aheaonline.com/